1.14.2011

Family food

I love to read books, not so much novels, but how-to and informational books. Reading makes me miss school a little less. So, lately nutritional books have been my favorite and the new year has got me into finding new ways to feed my family healthy meals. There are so many different books and ideas on nutrition, written by doctors, scientists, researchers, journalists, bloggers, how do you choose? There is just so much info that sometimes I feel so confused, and they all have good points and are so convincing. I decided to go by three main rules when making nutritional decisions that I know are true:

1. The Word of Wisdom
2. Everything in moderation (no extremes here)
3. Personal revelation to me for my family

John and I sat down and read through the Word of Wisdom together and had a great discussion about what we feel is good for our family. It has probably been years since I read it and had forgotten several things. There were a few things I swore were in there that were not mentioned at all ;), oops.

So with that said, here are a few books that I have read that I have really enjoyed and have tried to incorporate:

Food Rules
In Defense of Food
Eat to Live and Disease Proof Your Child by Joel Fuhrman (you have got to read this if you have kids, you will love it)
Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day and Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day
Jamies Food Revolution




This week we have eaten and tried, salads, soups, whole grains, quinoa, seeds, fish, soy products, healthy muffins, and lots of vegetables. Here are some results:

For dinner Mae and Wes each ate a plate of steamed green beans and then asked for seconds

During lunch Wes ate his bowl of spinach salad and veggies faster than anyone else while complimenting and thanking me for making it for him

Mae said: "leaves are good!"

John: "I could eat this for every meal"

A very skeptical John: "this stuff actually tastes good"

And Wes and Mae have been thanking me at every meal, so cute, and such a great habit :)

Man, if I knew it was going to be this easy I would have done this a long time ago.

1 comment:

Brendan, Dana, Hazel, Hattie, and Niels said...

I'm currently reading In Defense of Food and really like it. I think I'm going to read Disease Proof Your Child. I read Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, but my bread didn't look as nice as yours. Maybe I'll have to try again.