Since most of our things are packed away, most importantly, all my tools and supplies to make or create, I have been cooking for fun. I need some kind of creative outlet and I do have my favorite cook books so I have been making new things all week. This week I made Thai Chicken and Coconut Soup, Beef Teriyaki, Chinese Chicken Salad, and Huevos Rancheros. They were all really good but this Beef Teriyaki was by far my favorite, it was super fast and easy and it reminds me of the Mongolian Beef from PF Chang's, which is our favorite.
Beef Teriyaki
2 lbs top blade steak or flank steak sliced thin (the deli will slice it for you, I wish I would have remembered this)
Ground black pepper
2 T vegetable oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
2 T mirin, sherry or white wine
2 t cornstarch (which I left out because I didn't have any)
2 t grated fresh ginger
1 garlic clove minced
1/8 t red pepper flakes
2 scallions sliced thin
1. Pat steak with paper towel and season with pepper. Heat 1 T of oil in skillet over med-hi until just smoking. Brown half of steak on both sides about 5 min total. Transfer steak to clean bowl. Repeat with remaining T oil and remaining steak.
2. While steak cooks, whisk soy sauce, sugar, mirin, cornstarch, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes together. Add sauce to skillet, return to med-hi heat and simmer, sraping up any browned bits, until thickened, about 2 min.
3. Add steak and any accumulated juices to skillet and continue to simmer until steak is heated through and sauce has thickened, about 1 min. Transfer to serving platter and sprinkle with scallions. Serve with sesame seeds and rice.
This recipe was great, the only thing I would add next time is steamed veggies.
3.21.2010
another recipe
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment