Seriously we just got done eating this Tortilla Soup and it always makes us so happy. I got the recipe last fall and we make it about once a month. It is sooo good. It is probably John's favorite meal that I make and while we were eating I got these two comments "Mom, your a good mom" and "I have the best wife". Wes had seconds and John had thirds. The recipe came from my favorite series of cook books from cooks illustrated, every recipe turns out very good, if you don't have any of these books go buy one NOW, I got all of mine used on Amazon so they were a great deal. Ok, here is the recipe:
Quick Tortilla Soup
5 sprigs fresh oregano
5 sprigs fresh cilantro plus 1/2 cup roughly chopped leaves
4 medium cloves garlic slightly crushed
2 dried New Mexico red chiles, stemmed, cracked open to remove seeds (in the mexican food area)
7 cups chicken broth (4 cans) (I have used canned and boillon and both are good)
1 1/2 pounds bone in chicken thighs, skin removed and trimmed of excess fat (I have used boneless too, its faster)
hot pepper sauce (sometimes I leave out)
1 bag tortilla chips
1 small red onion diced fine (I usually leave out)
2 medium avocados diced
2 ripe medium tomatoes diced
1 lime cut into wedges (the best part!)
1. Tie together oregano sprigs and cilantro stems with kitchen twine. Place the garlic cloves and dried chiles in a large dutch oven over med-hi heat. Cook stirring frequently, until the garlic begins to darken and is aromatic, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat for 30 seconds to cool it down. Return the pan to the heat and add the bundled herbs, broth, and chicken thighs and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 40 min.
2. Remove the chicken from the broth and use two forks to remove the meat from the bone and shred into thin strands. Strain the broth through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl; return the broth to the pan over low heat to keep warm. Add the shredded chicken and season with salt and hot pepper sauce to taste. (it usually doesn't need salt, esp if you used bouillon).
3. To serve, gently crumble a small handful of chips into individual bowls and divide the broth evenly among them. Serve the chopped cilantro leaves, onion, avocados, tomatoes, and lime wedges at the table. (We also like shredded cheese).
3.14.2010
Best Soup Ever!
I didn't have time to take a picture but this one looks similar
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm excited to try it out! I always love your recipes.
Post a Comment